Home > JAVA, Ubuntu Geek > Google AppEngine and PlayFramework v1.1 the first experience

Google AppEngine and PlayFramework v1.1 the first experience

This Blog post  is the brief  report how to easily deploy example GAE application “lists-with-gae“. I have spend couple of hours today playing with this cool new framework.   I decided to test Google AppEngine  deployment  of mine project as the last point today. This report will be focused only on the ”lists-with-gae” project.  This project is located in default gae plugin installation.  Check the GAE-version you want to install to you Play project.  I should point out I’m running under Ubuntu 10.04 !

# play install gae-1.1
# play install siena-1.3

Than you need to define your GAE plugin in the project in conf/application.conf

# Additional modules
# ~~~~~
# A module is another play! application. Add a line for each module you want
# to add to your application. Module paths are either absolutes or relative to
# the application root.

before you return back to your project directory you have to edit your .bashrc file.  Define variable GAE_SDK:

export GAE_PATH=~/eclipse_helios/plugins/com.google.appengine.eclipse.sdkbundle.1.3.8_1.3.8.v201010161055/appengine-java-sdk-1.3.8/bin

than you have to change permission to the appcfg.sh file

#chmod +x  ~/eclipse_helios/plugins/com.google.appengine.eclipse.sdkbundle.1.3.8_1.3.8.v201010161055/appengine-java-sdk-1.3.8/bin/appcfg.sh

Note: It works perfectly. I have also tested to define unziped GAE directory directly but I received deployment errors! I recommend you to use Eclipse Plugin (Based on forum discussion)!

Now it’s time to run following command in the project “lists-with-gae” directory:
#play gae:deploy

I don’t know why you still receive in log this warning but …

21:12:08,197 WARN  ~ Google App Engine module
21:12:08,197 WARN  ~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
21:12:08,197 WARN  ~ No Google App Engine environment found. Setting up a development environement

… don’t worry,  everything gonna be deployed to your GAE project.   Edit war/WEB-INF/appengine-web.xml  and define your project before you run command above

<appengine-web-app xmlns=”http://appengine.google.com/ns/1.0″&gt;

And now check it out …. it works 🙂

Categories: JAVA, Ubuntu Geek
  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: